I'm 16 in Atl. GA I got caught by shoplifting in kohls & I have no guardian here. My parents are in mexico..

Asked 10 months ago - Atlanta, GA

What should I be expecting on my court day if I don't have anyone but myself,

1. Mark J. Issa

2

1

Answered . Depending on the county that this occurred in, I would suggest that on the date of your hearing you request representation. This is an important case that may have negative effects on your future decisions. Most likely you will have the advise and guidance of counsel on your court date so be sure to be honest with them and tell them everything so they can best represent you in this matter. Best of luck to you.

2. Lindsey Jordan Share

1

Answered . It depends what kind of court date you have coming up. You should get representation. If you cannot afford to hire an attorney, the court will appoint you a public defender. If you already know you can't afford an attorney, then you should contact the Public Defender's Office to fill out an application before your court date.

3. Shawn Clayton Bugbee

Pro

Answered . First, contact the Fulton County juvenile court and ask for the contact information for the public defender attorneys assigned to that court. Ask if you have already been assigned an attorney to represent you. If not, make sure you ask that one be appointed prior to your court date, and then follow up with that office to ensure that this is done.

Juvenile court works differently from other courts, and the attorneys that specialize in juvenile law will be able to walk you through the process and explain what you can expect.

Time is of the essence, as juvenile court cases move very rapidly, as opposed to a standard misdemeanor matter in a state court.