I'm 16 and want to rent my own apartment. Am I allowed to legally in the state of Illinois?

Asked about 1 year ago - Western Springs, IL

I am 16 and want to move. Can I in Illinois?

1. Gary L. Schlesinger

5

Answered . no, you may not. you would have to file a petition to be emancipated. a judge would have to order your emancipation. then you could sign a lease as an emancipated minor. if either of your parents object, no emancipation.

2. Golnar Sargeant

6

Answered . Are you emancipated? If you had the help of an attorney (or one was assigned to you by the court) for your emancipation, then you should ask that attorney. If you are not emancipated, then you may have a hard time getting anyone to rent to you because minors can not enter into contracts, as their consent is negated by their age. More facts are needed.

3. Lee Alan Thompson

3

Answered . Sure, if take your parents along. unless you already got yourself emancipated by the court.