I'm 16 and want to rent my own apartment. Am I allowed to legally in the state of Illinois?

Western Springs, IL |

I am 16 and want to move. Can I in Illinois?

Are you emancipated? If you had the help of an attorney (or one was assigned to you by the court) for your emancipation, then you should ask that attorney. If you are not emancipated, then you may have a hard time getting anyone to rent to you because minors can not enter into contracts, as their consent is negated by their age. More facts are needed.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

Sure, if take your parents along. unless you already got yourself emancipated by the court.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

no, you may not. you would have to file a petition to be emancipated. a judge would have to order your emancipation. then you could sign a lease as an emancipated minor. if either of your parents object, no emancipation.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Asker - mr. schlesinger is correct. At 16, you are still a minor and considered under the law not to be competent to enter into a contractual agreement, which includes a lease. Your parents can sign the lease for you or you can seek emancipation but it is highly unlikely that you can show yourself to be sufficiently independent, and with your parents' permission, that a judge would deem you emancipated.

State, local, and municipal law topics

Recommended articles about State, local, and municipal law