I'm 16 and want to rent my own apartment. Am I allowed to legally in the state of Illinois?

Asked about 1 year ago - Western Springs, IL

I am 16 and want to move. Can I in Illinois?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Gary L. Schlesinger

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . no, you may not. you would have to file a petition to be emancipated. a judge would have to order your emancipation. then you could sign a lease as an emancipated minor. if either of your parents object, no emancipation.

  2. Golnar Sargeant

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Are you emancipated? If you had the help of an attorney (or one was assigned to you by the court) for your emancipation, then you should ask that attorney. If you are not emancipated, then you may have a hard time getting anyone to rent to you because minors can not enter into contracts, as their consent is negated by their age. More facts are needed.

    We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute... more
  3. Lee Alan Thompson

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Sure, if take your parents along. unless you already got yourself emancipated by the court.

    Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful"... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,479 answers this week

2,819 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,479 answers this week

2,819 attorneys answering