I'm residential campus student upstate ny and I missed my court date in Brooklyn NY.I was to appear after completing community

Schenectady, NY |

I'm residential campus student upstate ny and I missed my court date in Brooklyn NY.I was to appear after completing community service...its kind of hard to get a open date to head to NYC considering my class hours and to make matters worse i m waiting on a employment back round employment check for advanced auto...I'm studying auto technology and will be a graduate in 2months the most...I feel I'm in a jamm smh

1. Call the court and see if a bench warrant was issued or if the case was closed out. If you didn't do the community service there is likely a warrant.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. Contact your criminal defnse lawyer on Monday to discuss the matter. You do not want a criminal record to impact your employment situation.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

3. Retain counsel there is now likely a warrant for your arrest.

4. Regardless of your schedule, you should NEVER miss a court date. Doing so almost guarantees that the judge will issue a bench warrant for your arrest and you run the risk of being incarcerated for typically benign things like speeding, littering or even an open container of alcohol matter.

If you cannot make a court date, hire an attorney to appear on your behalf. Your attorney can stay (hold off) a bench warrant and reschedule the case for a date and time that you can appear.

Good luck!

DUI topics