I'm being accused of invasion of privacy for looking between the slats of a fence. Is this illegal in CA

Antioch, CA |

I was walking in my apartment complex and saw an apartment with a large new fence. As I looked at the fence, I noticed between the slats green grass and a BBQ. We are not allowed BBQ's here. I remembered at that moment another tenant told me that that was the Managers Apt. So, I called the old Asst. Manager and told her how big the yard was and that it had a BBQ. 10 minutes after I hung up, I got a voice message from my Apt. Manager stating that she got a call and that I had some problems with things on her patio and she felt her privacy had been invaded and she was contacting her boss and her attorneys. Then told me to call or come in and talk with her. My intentions were in no way criminal. I think I may need an attorney.

The other respondents to your inquiry are correct - your action was lawful because you had a legal right to stand where you did. One cannot claim a privacy interest in something that they display for the world to see. You are fine.

This is not legal advice and the within response does not create an attorney client relationship between this office/me and any other person or entity. Hans Gillinger Partner Law Offices of Bonnie Z. Yates 13323 Washington Blvd., Suite 300 Los Angeles, CA 90066 tel: (310) 204-6624 fax: (310) 204-6624 Direct: (310) 279-5048 Email: hans@bonniezyates.com web: bonniezyates.com

2. There is no expectation of privacy for things placed on the porch being viewed by others. If you receive any more threats be sure to document it. Document everything and don't admit to anything. Try Avvo's "Find a Lawyer" service if you decide that you need an attorney..

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Consult with an attorney if you need further assistance.

3. I agree with the other attorney. I will suggest to be very cautious with speaking to that person.
    Obviously she has something in her mind that can create problems for you. Better consult an attorney . Why i say that? Because she is the Manager meaning represents the landlord and you may have other issues

Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE). The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+. *the certification is not a specialty recognized by the California State Bar.

Civil rights topics