I'm being accused of invasion of privacy for looking between the slats of a fence. Is this illegal in CA

Asked 8 months ago - Antioch, CA

I was walking in my apartment complex and saw an apartment with a large new fence. As I looked at the fence, I noticed between the slats green grass and a BBQ. We are not allowed BBQ's here. I remembered at that moment another tenant told me that that was the Managers Apt. So, I called the old Asst. Manager and told her how big the yard was and that it had a BBQ. 10 minutes after I hung up, I got a voice message from my Apt. Manager stating that she got a call and that I had some problems with things on her patio and she felt her privacy had been invaded and she was contacting her boss and her attorneys. Then told me to call or come in and talk with her. My intentions were in no way criminal. I think I may need an attorney.

1. Hans Albert Gillinger

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . The other respondents to your inquiry are correct - your action was lawful because you had a legal right to stand where you did. One cannot claim a privacy interest in something that they display for the world to see. You are fine.

2. Matthew William Hoffmann

3

1

Answered . There is no expectation of privacy for things placed on the porch being viewed by others. If you receive any more threats be sure to document it. Document everything and don't admit to anything. Try Avvo's "Find a Lawyer" service if you decide that you need an attorney..

3. Athina Karamanlis Powers

Pro

2

1

Answered . I agree with the other attorney. I will suggest to be very cautious with speaking to that person.
    Obviously she has something in her mind that can create problems for you. Better consult an attorney . Why i say that? Because she is the Manager meaning represents the landlord and you may have other issues