Skip to main content

I lost my social security number card and how can I get it renewed? My green card will expire 2016 and I'm currently out of USA.

San Francisco, CA |

I have no idea how can I get my SSN card again? Is it possible or not? Also I'm currently living in Paris right now. I left USA at 2008 and haven't come back. My green card will expire on 2016. I want to apply for my US Citizenship too but since I left the country for more than 36 month I'm not sure if they will allow me to apply for citizen or even reenter the USA.

Attorney Answers 4


Once you remain outside the U.S. for over one year, you have abandoned your permanent resident status, and will have to give up your green card.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

16 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleague. You will more likely need to start the lpr process over as the lpr status has been deemed abandoned. The green card is used as proof to request entry into US with LPR status and when its deemed abandoned you will need a new visa to be able to enter the US.

SSA website has information on a person's ability to have a SSN card replaced.

Good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


You need to consult with a reputable Immigration attorney about your status. He/She will need to determine things such as why you left the US, if you have kept ties in the US, if a re-entry permit was requested, etc, in order to assess if there is any chance of you keeping your LPR status. I wouldn't wait any longer, since you're been out for over 4 years already. Once that is resolved, you can think about citizenship.

[This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


You have abandoned your status by staying out for more than one year. You will need to reapply.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Social security topics

Recommended articles about Social security

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics