Skip to main content

I lost my Social Security Card and my Green Card at the same time.

Houston, TX |

Now I have to make a trip to my home country for a very important cause. I 90 might take a while, is there a way I can get an authorization letter to leave the country and be able to come back? How do I do that.? How much it might cost me

Attorney Answers 4


File an I-90 and make an InfoPass appointment to have USCIS stamp your passport.

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

25 lawyers agree


Go ahead and file the I-90. Take evidence with you to an info pass appointment and get your passport stamped there, explaining that you have an emergency trip coming up with proof of the emergency if possible.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


After you file an I-90, you should receive a receipt notice. Carry that with you as well as your stamped passport to help avoid secondary inspection on your way back into the country. You can receive the stamp in your passport by scheduling an infopass appointment with your local USCIS office.

Attorney Jennifer Ahn's answer is to provide general information only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. The content of this answer is not intended to substitute accurate legal advice, which is relevant to all the facts and circumstances of your specific case. This answer does not create an Attorney-Client relationship. (847) 297-9200

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


You should file the I-90. Keep a copy for your records and bring this information to an infopass appointment.

Alexus P. Sham-The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Social security topics

Recommended articles about Social security

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics