I lost my I-94 and my wife is filing an I-130 for me... can she file an I-130 without my I-94...

Asked over 1 year ago - Oak Forest, IL

im a crewman and I lost my I-94 can my wife file for I-130 petition for me without my I-94? is uscis will look for my I-94 card? or me and my wife can proceed filing without my I-94..

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . She can file an I-130 on your behalf, but as a crewman, you will have to return to your country (and perhaps obtain a provisional waiver) in order to become a permanent resident.

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Malathi Benjamin


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The I-130 doesn't need you to prove that you are in status so you don't need the I-94. However, if you are concurrently filing for adjustment of status then you will need to prove legal entry, either with a copy of the I-94, or the entry stamp in your passport. You can always file an application with the USCIS for a replacement I-94.

    Malathi Benjamin PLC
    127 N. Madison Ave, Ste. 211
    Pasadena CA 91101
    (626) 744 1750

    This is not to be regarded as legal advice which can only be properly offered after a careful assessment of your... more
  3. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Wife can file for an I-130 for you and you will not need to have the I-94 or prove lawful entry

    As a crewman, however, you will not be able to adjust status in the US and will need to depart to do so in your home country. Very few exceptions to that requirement exist. Make sure to consult with an experienced immigration lawyer.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  4. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . She can file and you may indicate it was lost.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,715 answers this week

3,452 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,715 answers this week

3,452 attorneys answering