I lost my I-94 and my wife is filing an I-130 for me... can she file an I-130 without my I-94...

Asked over 1 year ago - Oak Forest, IL

im a crewman and I lost my I-94 can my wife file for I-130 petition for me without my I-94? is uscis will look for my I-94 card? or me and my wife can proceed filing without my I-94..

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

Answered . She can file an I-130 on your behalf, but as a crewman, you will have to return to your country (and perhaps obtain a provisional waiver) in order to become a permanent resident.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Malathi Benjamin

Pro

5

Answered . The I-130 doesn't need you to prove that you are in status so you don't need the I-94. However, if you are concurrently filing for adjustment of status then you will need to prove legal entry, either with a copy of the I-94, or the entry stamp in your passport. You can always file an application with the USCIS for a replacement I-94.

Malathi Benjamin PLC
    127 N. Madison Ave, Ste. 211
    Pasadena CA 91101
    www.malathibenjamin.com
    (626) 744 1750

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . Wife can file for an I-130 for you and you will not need to have the I-94 or prove lawful entry

As a crewman, however, you will not be able to adjust status in the US and will need to depart to do so in your home country. Very few exceptions to that requirement exist. Make sure to consult with an experienced immigration lawyer.

4. Stephen D. Berman

1

Answered . She can file and you may indicate it was lost.