Skip to main content

I lost my I-94, Have interview with immigration office next month.

Chicago, IL |

I lost my passport and my I-94. I have copy of both and i just received a new passport. Do i need a new I-94 on my interview or just the copy.
Thank you

Attorney Answers 5

  1. A copy should do, along with a police report if stolen. There is always the option of filing Form I-102 to request a duplicate. But a copy should do - will depend on the officer.

    Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.

  2. For most purposes is a copy should be sufficient if you explain the original was stolen. You may want to apply for a duplicate.

    This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

  3. Copy is okay. Have you considered having an attorney represent you for the interview?

    Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC

    This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.

  4. Copies are acceptable with a plausible explanation.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602

  5. It is office specific, but in the Chicago District Office I have never had problems with presenting a passport with original visa and admission stamp as proof of lawful entry. So even if you don't have the original I-94, you should be okay, but as always, attorney representation at this interview is highly advisable.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics