Skip to main content

I lost my guardianship papers for my granddaughter, what can I do? my granddaughter is only 14 years old.

Rialto, CA |

Im trying to get her a passport so we can go to spain this summer.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If you went through a formal court proceeding to get the guardianship, I would check with the court that issued the guardianship papers (in Georgia, it's the county probate court). They should be willing to provide you with those papers for a reasonable fee.

    If it was not a formal guardianship done through a court, but instead your child signed papers to give you custody of your grandchild, I would check with the attorney who prepared the paperwork. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip to Spain!

  2. Go to the clerk of the issuing court and request a copy of the letters and order.

  3. Go to the Court that issued the letters and request another set of certified letters.

    No legal representation exists by virtue of this answer. It is recommended that you contact an attorney directly for a more complete response.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics