Skip to main content

I lost my EAD card will i be able to get this job?

Jamaica, NY |

i have the social security card that says valid with DHS authorization only & the receipt notice that came with the card that says approved & that its valid 'til 2015...The card costs 380 to replace & 3 months to come & the interview is tomorrow...My green card would probably arrive before the card that will then be useless...i just want to know if all bets are off or if i actually have a chance with getting the job with the proof i have if i plead with the manager?

the receipt notice is the I797 that came with the EAD card with all the same info on it.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. The receipt is not a proper I-9 document so it will be up to the employer whether accept the notice until your green card is received.

  2. I would advise the employer not to employ you without the card, doing so will represent a potential risk to the employer.

    This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction.

  3. It really is up to the employer. However, the ead or the green card are the correct documents. I understand why you wouldn't want to renew. If it is only a day a way maybe its better to wait one day and see wht the employer says. Why renew for the purpose of that job if they won't hire you anyway? If they are willing to work with you they will say so and then you could worry about renewing.

  4. You should file for a replacement of the lost card. Meanwhile show the documentation that you do have to the potential employer, explain the loss of the original card and that you have filed for its replacement.

    This answer is of a general nature and does not in any way create an attorney-client relationship.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics