Skip to main content

I lost bill of sale and no title is present. How can I go forward in registering my car?

Watsonville, CA |
Filed under: Used cars Vehicle title

I bought a car without the official bill of sale or title present. The previous owner transferred ownership to me on a handwritten sheet of paper that we both signed. I can not find this paper and only paper work I have for the vehicle is the registration under the previous owners name. How can I register my car without involving the previous owner? I cannot get a hold of him, its been about 5 months since the purchase of the car. This is in California.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Best bet is to visit your local DMV and ask for information.

The information above is NOT LEGAL ADVICE and you should not rely on it. Providing information on Avvo does NOT create an attorney-client relationship even if there is a back and forth exchange between us. The relationship can be created only if we both sign a written agreement and you have paid fees as required.

Lemon law topics

Recommended articles about Lemon law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer