I lost a judment to a debt collector. I got a letter from the law office asking for money? I don't have the money to pay them.

Norristown, PA |

I called the law firm that is representing the debt collector and asked for more affordable payment terms and that was denied. They counter and asked for money that is still not affordable to me. What should I do next. I don't want to file bankruptcy but it is seeming like it is the only solution because they are unwilling to take any affordable offer.

Why don't you want to file for bankruptcy?

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Christian Andrew DiCicco

Christian Andrew DiCicco

You need to call an experiencd bankruptcy lawyer to discuss your situation right away.

What I am concerned the most about is the money to pay for the services. And I am also looking for a new job and I don't know how that would affect my job search.

Charles Laputka

Charles Laputka

There are lots of reason to or not to file bankruptcy....but you need to go speak with a BK lawyer and have a free consultation ASAP so you know your rights, at the very least.

You could retain a bankruptcy lawyer to negotiate a settlement with the debt collector. A debt collector will think twice about accepting a settlement from a bankruptcy lawyer as the debt collector fully realizes that they will receive nothing ($0.00) if a client files bankruptcy.

On the other hand, if you have a substantial amount of unsecured debt, a chapter 7 bankruptcy may be the best solution to reorganize your financial affairs. A fresh start may be the best solution for your situation.

Call a bankruptcy lawyer and discuss your situation.

Whether you need to file for bankruptcy cannot be determined by the entry of one judgment, or for that matter the amount of other debt you presently have incurred. One of the determining factors in making the decisions as to whether you need to file for bankruptcy is the amount of assets you presently own or anticipate owning in the future, and what you present level of income. I would urge you to consult with a consumer debtor's attorney to further discuss your particular situation.

Mr. Geisenberger is a Pennsylvania-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Jacques H. Geisenberger, Jr., P.C.,does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege.