I lost a judment to a debt collector. I got a letter from the law office asking for money? I don't have the money to pay them.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Norristown, PA

I called the law firm that is representing the debt collector and asked for more affordable payment terms and that was denied. They counter and asked for money that is still not affordable to me. What should I do next. I don't want to file bankruptcy but it is seeming like it is the only solution because they are unwilling to take any affordable offer.

1. Stephen M. Dunne

5

1

Answered . You could retain a bankruptcy lawyer to negotiate a settlement with the debt collector. A debt collector will think twice about accepting a settlement from a bankruptcy lawyer as the debt collector fully realizes that they will receive nothing ($0.00) if a client files bankruptcy.

On the other hand, if you have a substantial amount of unsecured debt, a chapter 7 bankruptcy may be the best solution to reorganize your financial affairs. A fresh start may be the best solution for your situation.

Call a bankruptcy lawyer and discuss your situation.

2. Christian Andrew DiCicco

3

Answered . Why don't you want to file for bankruptcy?

3. Jacques H. Geisenberger Jr.

3

Answered . Whether you need to file for bankruptcy cannot be determined by the entry of one judgment, or for that matter the amount of other debt you presently have incurred. One of the determining factors in making the decisions as to whether you need to file for bankruptcy is the amount of assets you presently own or anticipate owning in the future, and what you present level of income. I would urge you to consult with a consumer debtor's attorney to further discuss your particular situation.