I loaned someone money, there was a contract, but I never signed the contract. Is it valid without my signature?

La Quinta, CA |

I loaned someone money and he had a contract made up, but I did not agree to the terms of the contract and have never signed it. He signed it and left it with me and wanted me to sign it and return it to him. We already had a oral agreement for the repayment of the loan. Is the written contract good even without my signature?

As long as it was signed by him, it would be binding on him, with or without your signature. He could raise a defense that the written agreement is not binding since you never agreed to it. That would come down to whoever the judge believes. A verbal agreement is just as enforceable as a written agreement, so if the written terms were the same as your verbal terms, then it might not make a difference.

If your friend is the person obligated by the K to make the payment, the K is good as against your friend without your signature. Still, there could be other reasons that the K is not enforceable and at best you could only enforce the terms stated.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference