I loaned an ex friend over $30,000 over the course of three years and he is refusing to pay me back. What are my options?

All cancelled checks state "LOAN" on them. I have Promissory Notes signed by the both of us. there is also a collateral loan where I am the primary and he is secondary with the collateral being his 2009 BMW X5. I have been making the monthly payments since September 2012. He lives in Columbia MD and I did too. But I moved to WV for a job. He has avoided me since I moved. I have reached out to him on numerous occasions and he has refused to respond.

Columbia, MD -

Brandy Ann Peeples

Brandy Ann Peeples

Litigation Lawyer - Frederick, MD

Initiate legal action against him for default of the Promissory Notes. You may need other evidence to prove the other collateral loan agreement for the loan to be enforceable.

Consult an attorney for a review of your documents.

Thomas C Valkenet

Thomas C Valkenet

Contracts / Agreements Lawyer - Baltimore, MD

You may sue in the District Court and represent yourself. Are you on the car title? As a co-owner you can drive the car.

Jeremy Alexander Goldman

Jeremy Alexander Goldman

Contracts / Agreements Lawyer - Columbia, MD

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Fortunately, I have successfully helped several clients recover unpaid debts from ex-friends and ex-spouses, and in one case the person owed the money lived out-of-state as you do. I recommend contacting an attorney, such as myself, to draft a letter detailing the money owed and requesting that the ex-friend agree to enter into a written repayment agreement. The letter would state that failure to agree to a reasonable repayment plan may result in legal action. In all of the similar situations I have handled, the person owing the money has agreed to pay and we have set up a monthly direct transfer from their account. Please contact me and I would be happy to discuss your options. jgoldman@jaglegalservices.com

This answer is for general advisory purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.