I lived with my parter for 14 years in his home in Independence MO. He passed away recently and did not leave a will.

Independence, MO |

I was not on the mortgage or deed. His next of kin would be his brother as his Mom has passed as well. I'm assuming he will be named administrator of his estate once probate starts. My question is at what point do I begin paying rent again? I'm assuming it will be once the admin is name. Does his brother have the right to ask for any amt he wants? i pd my partner 425.00 per mo. but always in cash and of course there was no lease. if I refuse to pay that amt can he legally on give me 30 days to vacate even though I have been there 14 years?

You really have no rights here and he can charge whatever rent he chooses.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Unfortunately you dont have many rights, if you do not have a written lease. Although he should give you thirty day notice before he changes rent or terms, it doesn't mean he will. Additionally, if the brother inherited the property he may considering selling it. You might want to consider looking for a new place.

**The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based on advertisements. No attorney-client relationship is formed in this answer.**

Tax law topics