I lived with my parter for 14 years in his home in Independence MO. He passed away recently and did not leave a will.

Asked over 2 years ago - Independence, MO

I was not on the mortgage or deed. His next of kin would be his brother as his Mom has passed as well. I'm assuming he will be named administrator of his estate once probate starts. My question is at what point do I begin paying rent again? I'm assuming it will be once the admin is name. Does his brother have the right to ask for any amt he wants? i pd my partner 425.00 per mo. but always in cash and of course there was no lease. if I refuse to pay that amt can he legally on give me 30 days to vacate even though I have been there 14 years?

1. Irene Costas

Answered . Unfortunately you dont have many rights, if you do not have a written lease. Although he should give you thirty day notice before he changes rent or terms, it doesn't mean he will. Additionally, if the brother inherited the property he may considering selling it. You might want to consider looking for a new place.

**The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based on advertisements. No attorney-client relationship is formed in this answer.**

2. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . You really have no rights here and he can charge whatever rent he chooses.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is