I lived in my Florida apartment for 8yrs. After moving they are trying to make me pay for the replacement of the carpets.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

Is this legal since after 8 yrs they would replace them anyway.

1. Harrison Wesley Poole

1

Answered . The answer is, it depends. It depends on what is contained in the lease and the specific facts about the condition of the carpet pre/post lease. Generally speaking, a tenant is not responsible for normal "wear and tear". You should consult with an attorney to know your options.

2. Matthew Howard Hinson

1

Answered . I would agree with Attorney Poole. Landlord/Tenant disputes are often governed by both the contract and Florida Statutes. As a result, they are often very fact specific and driven by the contract you signed. In circumstances involving "normal wear and tear" of carpet, there are also prior cases decided by the courts that could apply. One of the first fact inquiries could be the life expectancy of the carpet (i.e., 3 year, 5 year, 10 year carpet). You should contact an attorney to review your specific scenario (including reviewing the contract) and provide you with their opinion as to your options.

3. Leonard Peter Cabral

1

Answered . VERY IMPORTANT Make sure you dispute the claim on your security deposit within 15 days of receiving the notice of intent to withhold your security deposit. A carpet's life is 7 years, You are not responsible for the carpet. Don't let the landlord get away with this.
    See my Security Deposit, Know your rights in Florida legal guide.