I live with my girlfriend. Im not on the lease. Landlord doesnt know that I live here. Can they increase rent?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I've lived with my girlfriend and her son for three years. She originally got the apartment and lease with her sister 6 years ago, but her sister moved out before I moved in. I am not on the lease, nor does the landlord know that I live here. Can they increase rent if we disclose that I live here? We always pay rent on time and have been good tenants.

1. Sean Patrick Lewis

1

Answered . It really depends on what the agreement says. It might also depend on whether your tenancy is subject to rent control.