I live on a Indian reservation and got charged with 2nd drgree buglary and theft.. pled guilty

Eagle Butte, SD |

Iam a Native American who pled guilty to the 2nd degree bugarly and theft charge.ON the Indian Reservation and a few week's later I was indicted .. To a federal court. on the same charges.. how can they charge me?? and it was my first time for these Charges..

1. There is no automatic pass or bite at the apple so to say; so if it is your first time it doesn't change what is happening to you. Hopefully some who actually practices in this area of law and even in your state can add a more detailed answer but basically Native American Indiana Nations and their reservations are a third sovereign in addition to state and federal law, which is why being charged there and the way you describe does not violate double jeopardy.