Skip to main content

I live in Wisconsin and am being charged with Battery and Disorderly Conduct after being arrested. Can I beat the case?

Cable, WI |

A friend and I were sitting in my driveway when we noticed a lot of people walking down my dead end rd.. When the group stopped in my neighbors yard, we got in the car and drove to the people. I told them if they didn't have any business there to leave. They began yelling at us and walked away. I then proceeded to drive back to my driveway when my friend ask that I drive slowly passed my driveway so they wouldn't know where I lived. I did this and noticed four of the people walking back towards my vehicle. An item was then thrown and I stopped the car and called 911. One of the people then walked up to my vehicle and opened the driver side door where I was. I then got out and an we began to exchange words. I was pushed and a fight ensued. Once cops arrived, I was arrested along with other

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Based only on what you have written, no lawyer can offer an opinion as to whether you will be conviction. However, we can assume that this will be your testimony. If so, you certainly have a good defense. If you were acting in self-defense, you cannot be convicted of either battery or disorderly conduct. You should hire a experienced attorney because this looks like a trial case, and there is little chance you could successfully defend yourself at trial.

    This answer is for informational purposes only. By answering this question, no attorney/client relationship is created. Although the legal information is accurate, it may not be appropriate for your situation. The best way to handle any legal problem is to seek the advice of an attorney.

  2. Like most cases involving fights, the related issues of provocation and self-defense will be for a jury to resolve. There are two sides to every story, and in fights between groups of people, several different stories usually emerge. You don't need to prove your innocence, the prosecutor needs to prove your guilt, beyond a reasonable doubt. The best way to get a good resolution is to prepare the case for trial from the get go, so hire the best lawyer you can afford as soon as possible. Good luck.

    This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the specifics of the case.

  3. I agree with the first answer. I would add that you should stop posting details about your case online. Anything posted online may be used against you in court; and your case is easily identifiable given the details you posted. You may want to consider asking Avvo if you may remove this post.

    Good luck!

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics