Skip to main content

I live in Washington state and have a warrant in Texas . Will this stop me from crossing the Canadian border ?

Burlington, WA |

The warrant is from a speeding ticket 6 . 5 years ago , and I just received the warrant in the mail . I am planned to move to Canada on a work visa for 6 months starting April . I feel after this amount of time they shouldn't but just now trying to collect debts or issuing a warrant .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


One question is whether this truly an "arrest warrant" or simply a notice of failure to appear which is more typical for civil infractions like speeding tickets. That said, this is really a question for a Canadian immigration attorney as it will be governed by Canadian or British Columbian law and border policy. Please contact me for names of some Canadian immigration attorneys who can answer this question.

Please note that this is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post represents only the poster's opinion. You should speak to an attorney for further information. The poster is licensed only in the State of Washington. For more information about our law firm and services, please visit my website at I hope this post was helpful to you. Thank you.


It depends. Call a Texas lawyer to get more information on the warrant.

Aaron M. Lukoff
Attorney at Law
Criminal & Civil Traffic Defense
Law Offices of Aaron M. Lukoff & Associates, PLLC
Fiat justicia ruat coelum

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response to your question is not legal advice and it does not establish an attorney-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on Washington law as I am licensed in Washington. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue/matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific legal advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain an attorney. For more information or to hire a lawyer, you can reach my offices at:; 360-647-5251 or at


Simple speeding tickets will almost never lead to an arrest warrant. So, either you actually have a criminal charge and an outstanding warrant, or you have an unpaid ticket and do not actually have a warrant. If you have an open warrant, not only might you not get into Canada, but you might get arrested in the process of trying to cross. If you only have an unpaid speeding ticket, it should not cause you problems crossing. Only an attorney with more specific information about your situation can give you a more specific answer.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer