I live in Washington state. While visiting NYC, got a ticket w/ a summons- can I get an attorney to appear for me?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

I'm 21 and a full time college student in Washington state. I was on a field trip to NYC with my class and Professor. Myself and 3 of my classmates were in a park after closing (we had no idea the park was closed!) and we all received tickets that require our presence in court in NYC. This is a big hardship for all of us financially as well as our court date falling at the time of our final exams. Hoping to learn of some options

1. John M. Cromwell

Pro

3

1

Answered . Yes, you can hire an attorney who can appear for you without your having to personally appear yourself. I do this regularly.

2. Edwin Drantivy

Pro

2

1

Answered . Retain a New York attorney, he/she can appear for you in light of your potential travel burden.

3. Michael Lewis Marley

Pro

2

1

Answered . I have an upcoming case for a young lady who has a national high school exam scheduled same day as her court date.
    It's no big deal to get a date changed or, in your cases, to appear with a signed affidavit from people who live so far away from New York that it would be hardship to return.
    You can pay a small fine and an attorney can appear on your behalf. Again, it's no big deal and the charge is trivial.

Law Office Of Michael Marley
    Phone 917 853 4484

4. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . Yes. I appear for people all the time and you do not have to appear yourself. Because it took place in a NYC Park, you are currently charged with a misdemeneor so it is a good idea to retain a criminal defense lawyer so you will not end of with a record and the matter gets sealed.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell ”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me.

Eric Rothstein
    11 Park Place, Suite 1100
    New York, New York 10007
    Phone: 212-577-9797
    Email: Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com
    Web site: www.RothsteinLawNY.com
    Free consultations by phone or in person

5. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

1

1

Answered . Attorney's can generally appear on your behalf and resolve the case without your appearance. It varies from judge to judge but it usually happens.
    Hire a local attorney to consult with and prepare the affidavit as well as appear for you on the required date.
    Good Luck.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net