Skip to main content

I live in Virginia and getting a divorce.Does my signature need to noterized on the final divorce decree?

Roanoke, VA |

We have no thing to resolve an are doing the divorce ourselves .Due to nether party being able to aford legal council due to disability .And cant get any helpfrom legal aid due to we both live on opesit sides of the state .Legal aid keeps passing the buck back and forth between the 2 locations .Stating that the other is the one that has to help me. My spouse has signed a waver of service an i understand she dosn't have to sign the final decree.But in need to know .When i sign the final decree for divorce does my signature have to be noterized?Can someone help me ?

Attorney Answers 3


The signature of a party on a Final Divorce Decree does not need to be notarized. However, since you are proceeding pro se in a divorce action, there may be other problems in the papers you have submitted. I would suggest you seek legal counsel to address your concerns. If you cannot afford private legal counsel, and you are having difficulty with obtaining free legal counsel through your local Legal Aid office, some law schools have clinics where law students train under an experienced attorney and may be able to assist you. Good luck.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. This response is provided for informational purposes only. It is recommended that you consult directly with a licensed attorney regarding your legal concern.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Your signature on the FDD does not have to be notarized. Generally in uncontested divorces, the only two documents that require notary are the Separation Agreement and the Waiver. It is unfortunate that Legal Aid Services have been giving you the run around. They should be assisting the petitioner/plaintiff, regardless of the respondent/defendant's location. As my colleague mentioned, there are other programs/organizations that assist low-income individuals.

This answer is for general informational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney licensed in your state, that practices in the relevant area of law, to schedule an in-person consultation.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I would agree with the above attorneys' advice

the information provided above is for information purposes only and you should consult an attorney for specific answers to your case

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics