I live in TX seeking custody of my 9 year old daughter back from my brother who had temp custody in Virginia for one year.

Asked 7 months ago - Duncanville, TX

I gave temp custody of my daughter(6yrs) to My brother and wife ,military, stationed in Virginia ,so that my daughter could attend school there for 1 year. My brother used his military resources to do this. After 1 year my daughter was returned to me and brother got out of the army and moved back here to Texas. We never returned custody to me on paper and my brother,a police officer , wants to do this since he no longer has my daughter in his care.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Bryan L. Walter

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Answer this question, what county and state are the present orders in? Where does the child live now? For how long?

    Please designate a best answer to your question, and mark as helpful any answer you find helpful. Help support the... more
  2. Maria Sara Lowry

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You should hire a lawyer Monday morning.

    This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information... more
  3. James Scott Gilbreath


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . If there are court orders giving your brother custody, you will need to modify them and you will need to hire a lawyer in the county from which the orders originated. That lawyer can tell you if you will need to do the modification there are transfer it to another court.

  4. Dorothea Elaine Laster


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . According to Texas Law you would file a Motion to Modify the propr custody order in Virginia, and get the case transferred to Texas, and then enter an Agreed Order Modifying the Order here. Before you go through that expense, confer with a Virigina Attorney and find out whether the temporary orders were ever made into a final order in VA or whether the case was dismissed. If the case was dismissed with no final orders entered, there may be nothing to do.

    This does not establish an attorney/client relationship

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,671 answers this week

3,162 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,671 answers this week

3,162 attorneys answering