I live in two states. What is the proper way to be a dual resident?

Tampa, FL |

I live in two states mostly because of my job. I travel a lot and I'm not clear on the proper state to have my drivers license? What about two cars do I have to have to have each registered in the state I keep them in? What about taxes?

I don't think this is an immigration question.

This information is intended as general information only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship between me and the asker.

Is there an immigration question?

Our replies to Avvo questions should not be considered specific legal advice to any individual, and no attorney-client relationship is formed with you. Our aim is to provide general principles that may be useful to the Avvo community as a whole. You should seek individual legal advice pertaining to your specific factual situation, and the laws applicable to your jurisdiction. Moore & Moore Attorneys at Law --

Consult with Certified Accountant (CPA) and/or a tax attorney. Research to see which state is less of a tax burden on your wallet, and choose to make that one your place of primary residence.

It doesn't hurt to have 2 drivers licenses issued by 2 different states, if you can manage it.

Register your cars in the state that charges less for car registrations. For instance, many people living in CA still carry OREGON or Arizona or Texas plates simply because it costs much less to register cars in those states as opposed to CA. In your case it might even be legal do do so.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law