I live in two states. What is the proper way to be a dual resident?

Asked over 2 years ago - Tampa, FL

I live in two states mostly because of my job. I travel a lot and I'm not clear on the proper state to have my drivers license? What about two cars do I have to have to have each registered in the state I keep them in? What about taxes?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I don't think this is an immigration question.

    This information is intended as general information only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Is there an immigration question?

    Our replies to Avvo questions should not be considered specific legal advice to any individual, and no attorney-... more
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Consult with Certified Accountant (CPA) and/or a tax attorney. Research to see which state is less of a tax burden on your wallet, and choose to make that one your place of primary residence.

    It doesn't hurt to have 2 drivers licenses issued by 2 different states, if you can manage it.

    Register your cars in the state that charges less for car registrations. For instance, many people living in CA still carry OREGON or Arizona or Texas plates simply because it costs much less to register cars in those states as opposed to CA. In your case it might even be legal do do so.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more

Related Topics

Adjustment of immigration status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Leon Versfeld

Between a Rock and a Hard Place

The rule of thumb in US immigration status is:"You can not change status if you are not in status." This means that if your non-immigrant status has expired (i.e. B1-visitor), you can... more

State, local, and municipal law

State, local, and municipal laws only apply to one location. However, these laws cover many subjects, such as land use, public services, and education policy.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now