I live in TN. I was involved in a car accident in 2000. I was 17 years old. I do not believe I was at fault.

Knoxville, TN |

I did not have insurance , I had very recently just got my license . The insurance company called my mom and told her they would take my license if I didn't pay for the other drivers car . I felt pressured and scared to sign a promissory note to pay because they threatened this over and over . My mom paid if for me for a few years . Then couldn't afford it and my license was revoked . My mom called while I was out with a friend and said u have to go to their lawyers and sign a judgment now because they are going to take your license again . I was in my early 20s . I was scared again and figured I had no recourse after signing the promissory note . They have taken my license again just recently , for being late on the payment I have always felt I do not owe . Is there anything I can do ?

Thank you for the answers. I just recently discovered that they can not take my license. I did not know this before. That is why I think I may be able to fight this. I wanted to fight it all along but I was so young. And after signing so many things to "keep my license" I have felt like there is nothing more I can do regardless now. I am still worried that I may not be able to do anything. But I am really getting sick of having to get my license back, for something so long ago that I did not cause. But one more question, it is automatically my fault because I was not insured? It was not a requirement in my state to have car insurance at the time of the accident, though I did get it and kept it long after the accident occured.

I'm having difficult following you. I don't understand how your insurance company can take your license. Contact a local personal injury attorney immediately. Something doesn't sound right here.

This response is given solely as a general response to the question and does not create an attorney / client relationship between the questioner and responder.

Thank you for the answer. I just recently discovered that they can not take my license. I did not know this before. That is why I think I may be able to fight this. I wanted to fight it all along but I was so young. And after signing so many things to "keep my license" I have felt like there is nothing more I can do regardless now. I am still worried that I may not be able to do anything. But I am really getting sick of having my license revoked over and over, for something so long ago that I did not cause. But one more question, it is automatically my fault because I was not insured? It was not a requirement in my state to have car insurance at the time of the accident, though I did get it and kept it long after the accident occured.

Larry Van Roberts

Larry Van Roberts

No, it is not automatically your fault because you were not insured. You can be considered at fault only if you were negligent. If a judge or jury did not determine that you were negligent or you did not sign a settlement agreement agreeing that you were negligent, you have not been found to be at fault. Again, talk to a local personal injury attorney. Good luck!

This is an issue best handled by contacting a local attorney to review the note. A lawyer can review the documents, the accident report and any other important documents.

You need to insult with an attorney with all the documents you have.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Bring all your paperwork to a personal injury lawyer to get the best answer.

Bottom line is you need to have a local attorney in your city review everything to determine what best to be done.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

I'm happy to sit with you and review all this. No charge to review it all.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others. Thank you. This response may provide information relating to potential legal issues. Nevertheless, your review of any information contained herein is not a substitute for legal advice from qualified legal counsel. For this reason, you should not rely on this response as a source of legal advice. Your use of this information does not create any attorney-client agreement. In order to become a client of David C. Lee, you must negotiate a specific attorney–client agreement with an attorney from this law office.

Thank you. I will call you right away.

This sounds like a very confusing situation that would be difficult if not impossible to disentangle in an online forum. You need to schedule a time to sit down with a local lawyer to review all the facts and documents in order to map out an appropriate plan of action. Good luck.

Disclaimer: General information provided online is not meant to be specific legal advice, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. We welcome and encourage you to contact us in the event you would like to learn more about our firm or attorneys; however, please understand that you are only considered to be a client of our firm after you have received and executed a written retainer agreement. After that time, we may exchange information freely and confidentially. You may call us at 901-372-5003, or visit our injury website at www.Tennessee-Injury-Lawyer.com for more information.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury