I live in Texas and im 17 years old. Can i move out without the police coming to get me and take me back to my house?

Asked about 2 years ago - Paige, TX

Im having major problems with my mother. She is always telling me that she wants me out of her house. My boyfriends parents say that its alright that i could move with them. Please help me.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Theresa Cay Langford

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . In Texas, Runaway is a status offense that applies to juveniles. Once you turned 17 you became an adult under the criminal justice system, and no longer a juvenile. You cannot be termed a runaway. If the authorities/parents know your location, then you also cannot be termed a missing person. Provided there are no outstanding court orders which restrict or limit your residence, then you can leave home, despite that you are still a minor under civil law, and must remain in school.

    The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses are merely intended to provide... more

Related Topics

Parental rights in child custody

Parental rights includes the rights a parent has in regards to his or her children. Mothers, fathers, and unmarried parents are sometimes treated differently.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,302 answers this week

3,090 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,302 answers this week

3,090 attorneys answering