I live in Texas and have a abscounding warrant in Wisconsin for leaving the state on misdemeanor probation can I be extradited

Asked about 2 months ago - Uvalde, TX

I left Wisconsin on misdemeanor probation without permission

1. Joshua Sachs

3

Answered . Wisconsin could extradite you. Whether it would or not is a decision that would be made on a case-by-case basis by the Wisconsin county prosecutor. What could certainly happen is that you could be arrested whenever you come into contact with any kind of police authority (traffic stop, application for any kind of license, re-entry into the country from abroad, etc etc.) and might sit in jail for a few days to a few weeks while Wisconsin makes up its mind whether it cares enough to send for you. I agree with my colleague that it is well worth seeking the help of a Wisconsin attorney to see whether anything can be done to resolve your case there and have the warrant recalled.

2. Jay Scott Finnecy

Pro

2

Answered . Most states won't extradite on misdemeanors--unless it's a really serious misdemeanor. Nonetheless, the warrant will remain outstanding until it's cleared. They never expire. Consider retaining an attorney in WI who might be able to resolve the warrant without you having to appear. Good luck to you.

Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney--
  3. Cynthia Russell Henley

Answered . There is no extradition on misdemeanors per an agreement between the states. This does not mean that you cannot be detained and messed wit by the local police.

Why don't you contact a Wisconsin lawyer and get advice on how you can settle the matter so you do not have to constantly look over your shoulder?