I live in Tampa,Florida and my question is "Can I receive financial assistance during my personal injury lawsuit?

Asked about 1 year ago - Tampa, FL

I'm really low on funds, and I went from part-time to PRN(As needed basis) to continue my physical therapy 3 times a week, now i can not continue working PRN but my present job is not hiring full-time or part-time positions at this time.

1. Julie S Luhrsen

16

Answered . While there are companies that loan personal injury clients money during the pendency of their case (based on the facts of your case), it is far better to try and find work elsewhere. Alternately, perhaps you can rely on family to help you out in the interim. Settlement companies typically charge very high interest rates and are entitled to be reimbursed out of your eventual recovery which can quickly eat into the settlement. Hope this helps.

2. Michael Lee Weimorts

10

Answered . To give more specific and accurate guidance, it would be necessary to review more information.

If this is an automobile crash, you can collect 60% of your lost wages immediately. The remainder of your lost wages can be recovered from the person at fault.

Your question alludes to the fact you have a lawsuit pending. Make an appointment with your attorney to discuss your needs and your ability to survive during the litigation.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******
  3. Alyson Marie George

9

Answered . We are missing some critical information, but generally speaking the answer to your question is yes, you can receive assistance. However, most attorneys will d

4. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

7

Answered . If you are able to work at this point, you should explore whether or not you may be entitled to unemployment insurance since your hours have been cut. You also may be entitled to food stamps or other social service benefits.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Pro

8

Answered . Best to discuss the options with your lawyer

6. David Ian Schoen

Pro

5

Answered . Your facts seem contradictory.

7. Brian Michael Bell

3

Answered . There are some funding companies available that provide financial assistance during a pending personal injury case; however, many of them charge VERY high interest rates upon settlement of the case. It is best to speak to a local personal injury attorney for all your options.

8. Joseph John Bernardo

Pro

2

Answered . Not from the lawyer, that would violate the Florida Bar Code of Ethics. There are companies that will provide funding to a client and/or their attorney during a personal injury lawsuit. Your attorney may or may not recommend them, however, as the interest rate is often quite high.

9. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

3

Answered . You can receive financial assistance (a loan) from one of the many litigation financing companies but beware. These companies charge extremely high interest rates. Consult your lawyer before you do anything else about this.

10. Vincent Paul Tolisano

Pro

1

Answered . If you were involved in an automobile accident and maintained Personal Injury Protection insurance you will be entitled to 60% of your lost wages up to the amount of coverage you have, provided you supply the necessary documentation to your insurance company.

11. Cherie H. Fine

1

Answered . If you have a lawyer, you should consult them. They will have a much better understanding of all the facts of your case. That being said, lawyers can not finance a lawsuit. Lending companies can help but should be a last resort because of the high interest rates they charge. If you can work, if your physicians say it is okay, my opinion is you should work.