I live in Philadelphia and I wanted to know would it be a legal issue if I carried a sword in public on my back? Details below.

Philadelphia, PA |

I am 16 years old. Practicing Kendo. This sword is wooden. But info about carrying a real one would be nice too. It be carried in a sword bag across my back.

Recommend you check with Philly police or a Philadelphia gun rights attorney. I suspect CCW laws might apply. Minors may not possess CCW licenses in all states I am aware of.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

Alan James Brinkmeier

Alan James Brinkmeier

Well said

Ask the local police or a criminal defense attorney. You might also ask at your Kendo school; they may have had this question come up before. The wooden sword will probably not present problems, but a real sword may get you arrested. Remember also that merely carrying the sword around is NOT the same thing a waving it around, especially if done in a threatening manner. That will get you arrested every time.

State, local, and municipal law topics

Recommended articles about State, local, and municipal law