Skip to main content

I live in Pakistan and would like to visit the USA. How do I get visa with invitation letter?

Seattle, WA |

I have enough money to travel to USA (I have about $5000 in my bank statement.)
I want to visit and stay with a friend (who has sent me a invitation letter, and says that he can give me a place to stay and feed me while I am there.)
As I am Christian I do have some difficulties in Pakistan.
I think I would like to live in USA, but I want to see the part of the country first, where my friend lives and with whom I will stay. (I would hope that I can find someone who may want to hire me.) Since I am from Pakistan, I am afraid there will be some unusual obstacles since most people assume that I am Muslim or worse.
How can I get a tourist visa?

Attorney Answers 5


You get a tourist visa by applying for one in your home country and showing to the consulate that you have every intention of returning and not staying in the USA

Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


By proving to the satisfaction of the consular officer that your ties to your country are so strong that you will return home.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


You need to apply for a tourist visa at the US Embassy. You must convince them that you are planning to return to Pakistan to live.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

12 lawyers agree


It is doubtful that someone with $5000 in the bank will be granted a tourist visa. Moreover, if the consular officer knows that you are planning to live in the US, the visa application will be promptly denied.

In general, an applicant get a tourist visa by proving to the consular officer, among other things, that the applicant has strong ties to the applicant's community so that the applicant will very likely leave the US before the authorized stay in the US is over.

While consular officers sometimes do approve visa applications of persons with less income or savings, the persons with strong ties to their communities usually have been working at their jobs for a long time, have spouses and minor children, have real properties, etc.

More information about tourist visas can be found at the US embassy or consulate of your country.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


you can ask a friend or a family member to send you an invitation letter ( samples are all over internet). Any relative with a stable jon and stream of income can send you such letter although it is not guaranteed that you will get a visa

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics