I live in Oregon and my Grandparents left me 25,000 - According to my Dad, I will not have to pay taxes on this , is that true?

Asked about 1 year ago - Bend, OR

I also have some debt out there ... back taxes, student loans, medical bills, etc.... I intend to take care of these matters, but am curious if this will just be taken out of the money that was inherited to me ?

1. Adam Famulary

8

Answered . Your father is correct. Your inheritance is not subject to estate tax or income tax (you get to keep all $25,000).

This is not legal advice. This is to be used for educational purposes only.
  2. Diane L Gruber

6

Answered . It is unlikely your creditors can directly take your inheritance. If there are judgments against you, your bank account can be garnished, however.

3. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

5

Answered . Inheritances are not taxable income. The income that inheritances generate (such as interest if it is invested during the time of administration) is be taxable but with $25,000 that would be very unlikely to amount to much.