Skip to main content

I live in OK & got a summons to appear in GA. Can a lawyer appear in my absence for a civil case regarding alimony modification?

Broken Bow, OK |

I was behind on alimony payments of $600 per month when my X filed for a Contempt Citation. I am now current on all payments and the court date is 22 days from today. That was the first summons. There is a second summons with the same court date as the first summons. The 2nd one is for a modification of alimony to change the $600 per month for 5 yrs, (which I have already paid 37 of the 60 payments), to a lump sum for the remaining 23 payments (which is about $14,000). I am broke and don't have the ability to get a loan of any kind. I don't have the money for a trip to GA. I need to know how to handle this whole thing legally and avoid a failure to appear charge as well.

Attorney Answers 1


You may hire a GA lawyer to get advice. Perhaps that attorney will be able to help you resolve the disupte without you having to attend every hearing.

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics