I live in Ohio. My license was suspended for not paying a fine. I was arrested for DUI, refusing a breathilizer.

Asked over 3 years ago - Lorain, OH

All charges were dropped except the DUI. visited the BMV site and the suspended my license for an additional 2+ years beyond what the court's sentence based on the dissmissed charges. Can the do this and what recourse do I have?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jon Joseph Saia

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your license would have also been suspended for the DUI (OVI) conviction. A suspension is mandatory. Your license would not have been suspended for not paying a fine although the court could take other action against your license ("forfeiture" or "hold") which would preclude you from driving. I think it is necessary for you to contact an attorney to review your BMV record as well as the court records to determine why your privileges are suspended.

  2. Todd Bruce Kotler

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Again, Attorney Saia knocks it out of the park. He knows what he's saying.

    I only write to add you can get an unofficial copy of your driving abstract (for the past 24 months), at the site I am attaching below.

    Good Luck and get a lawyer as Attorney Saia suggests.

    This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be... more
  3. Erin Allene Downs

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . I can't answer that question without looking on the court's docket, the BMV website, and other resources to determine why your license is supsended for 2 years. It may be that there is a mistake at the court level, and you need to petition the court to correct that mistake. Some people let these kind of issues go, but I suggest contacting an attorney to help you with the license. Once it's suspended, you can rack up more problems (DUS, Driving without Insurance - requiring an FRA suspension, etc...).

Related Topics

Tickets for driving without insurance

Driving without insurance is a ticketable traffic violation. You must have insurance with certain types of coverage and keep proof of insurance in your vehicle.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,441 answers this week

2,227 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,441 answers this week

2,227 attorneys answering