I live in Ohio. My license was suspended for not paying a fine. I was arrested for DUI, refusing a breathilizer.

Lorain, OH |

All charges were dropped except the DUI. visited the BMV site and the suspended my license for an additional 2+ years beyond what the court's sentence based on the dissmissed charges. Can the do this and what recourse do I have?

Your license would have also been suspended for the DUI (OVI) conviction. A suspension is mandatory. Your license would not have been suspended for not paying a fine although the court could take other action against your license ("forfeiture" or "hold") which would preclude you from driving. I think it is necessary for you to contact an attorney to review your BMV record as well as the court records to determine why your privileges are suspended.

Again, Attorney Saia knocks it out of the park. He knows what he's saying.

I only write to add you can get an unofficial copy of your driving abstract (for the past 24 months), at the site I am attaching below.

Good Luck and get a lawyer as Attorney Saia suggests.

This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctorine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at TBKotler@sbcglobal.net or 330-777-0065. Thank you

I can't answer that question without looking on the court's docket, the BMV website, and other resources to determine why your license is supsended for 2 years. It may be that there is a mistake at the court level, and you need to petition the court to correct that mistake. Some people let these kind of issues go, but I suggest contacting an attorney to help you with the license. Once it's suspended, you can rack up more problems (DUS, Driving without Insurance - requiring an FRA suspension, etc...).

Traffic tickets topics