I live in Ohio. My license was suspended for not paying a fine. I was arrested for DUI, refusing a breathilizer.

Asked over 3 years ago - Lorain, OH

All charges were dropped except the DUI. visited the BMV site and the suspended my license for an additional 2+ years beyond what the court's sentence based on the dissmissed charges. Can the do this and what recourse do I have?

1. Jon Joseph Saia

1

Answered . Your license would have also been suspended for the DUI (OVI) conviction. A suspension is mandatory. Your license would not have been suspended for not paying a fine although the court could take other action against your license ("forfeiture" or "hold") which would preclude you from driving. I think it is necessary for you to contact an attorney to review your BMV record as well as the court records to determine why your privileges are suspended.

2. Todd Bruce Kotler

Answered . Again, Attorney Saia knocks it out of the park. He knows what he's saying.

I only write to add you can get an unofficial copy of your driving abstract (for the past 24 months), at the site I am attaching below.

Good Luck and get a lawyer as Attorney Saia suggests.

3. Erin Allene Downs

Answered . I can't answer that question without looking on the court's docket, the BMV website, and other resources to determine why your license is supsended for 2 years. It may be that there is a mistake at the court level, and you need to petition the court to correct that mistake. Some people let these kind of issues go, but I suggest contacting an attorney to help you with the license. Once it's suspended, you can rack up more problems (DUS, Driving without Insurance - requiring an FRA suspension, etc...).