I live in NY and have 2 timeshares in LA. My husband is deceased, and still on the deed. Is legal succession required?

Asked over 1 year ago - Jamaica, NY

When purchasing, we were never told of such laws. I am now trying to deed-back the units, and to do so I must pay $3,000 plus the cost of succession. My husband had a will, leaving everything to me.....is there any way around this? What is the cost?

1. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

2

Answered . It really depends on how you were named on the deeds, and what state laws apply. If you weren't on the deeds, then you might not have to do anything.

2. Michael Robert Weinstein

Pro

1

Answered . There are a great many questions that need to be answered to answer your question. Were both you and your husband on the deeds; were you joint tenants; does the deed specify a legal description of real property or is it only a license to use; etc. If both of you are on title and you are described as joint tenants you solution is as easy as recording a declaration of death of joint tenant. If the time share is for real property and was aquired during a marriage of long duration it may be community property and a simple filing with the probate court will give you title. The scenarios get more complex and expensive from there depending on the deeds or licenses to use. You need to show your documents to an attorney licensed to practice in California and allow him/her to determine what is required to put the time share in your name and inform you what it will cost. If the time share company is charging you $3000 plus legal fees to change title they may be overcharging. Contact an attorney practicing in LA.