I live in NY and have 2 timeshares in LA. My husband is deceased, and still on the deed. Is legal succession required?

Asked over 1 year ago - Jamaica, NY

When purchasing, we were never told of such laws. I am now trying to deed-back the units, and to do so I must pay $3,000 plus the cost of succession. My husband had a will, leaving everything to me.....is there any way around this? What is the cost?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jeffrey Bruce Gold


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It really depends on how you were named on the deeds, and what state laws apply. If you weren't on the deeds, then you might not have to do anything.

    If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore,... more
  2. Michael Robert Weinstein


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There are a great many questions that need to be answered to answer your question. Were both you and your husband on the deeds; were you joint tenants; does the deed specify a legal description of real property or is it only a license to use; etc. If both of you are on title and you are described as joint tenants you solution is as easy as recording a declaration of death of joint tenant. If the time share is for real property and was aquired during a marriage of long duration it may be community property and a simple filing with the probate court will give you title. The scenarios get more complex and expensive from there depending on the deeds or licenses to use. You need to show your documents to an attorney licensed to practice in California and allow him/her to determine what is required to put the time share in your name and inform you what it will cost. If the time share company is charging you $3000 plus legal fees to change title they may be overcharging. Contact an attorney practicing in LA.

    Nothing contained in the information on this web site is to be considered as the rendering of legal advice for... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,369 answers this week

3,017 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,369 answers this week

3,017 attorneys answering