I live in NJ and was rear ended at a light by a taxi driver.

New Brunswick, NJ |

As i was approaching an intersection i slowed down noticing the light changing I have to make a right so i started to slow down. the next thing i know i am Hit from behind. The police arrived and a report was written up. when i got out of my car the driver said it was my fault.. There is a sign at the light that says no turn on red so i had to stop. this morning when i woke up my neck is hurting my arms hurt and my fingers are tingling. And i have pain in my lowerback/ tailbone. i am really stressed out about this whole situation should i let my insurance handle this or should i seek an attorney?

I would like to know who is at fault here? I cant be at fault for stopping at a light/ slowing down for a turn? i feel like its the taxi drivers fault. I would also like to know if I should get a lawyer or just let the insurance deal with medical expenses.. I have no idea how much this is going to cost.. Thank you

1. Relax, all will be fine. As a general rule the car from behind is at fault vomit importantly, as you are in pain perhaps you should go straight to a local emergency room. Do contact qualified personal injury counsel, then contact your insurance company. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

2. Motor vehicle operators have a duty to maintain control at all times and to keep a safe following distance. So, you were doing what you were supposed to do and the other operator failed both of those duties. Barring unusual circumstances it would appear the operator bears fault. However, it is adviseable for you to retain an attorney ASAP. Here's why:

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

3. Go see your doctor and get treated. Your auto insurance will cover the medical bills up to your policy limits less the deductible. Your medical insurance may cover the deductible.

See a personal injury attorney to see if you have your own claim for your injuries. As to liability, it is very difficult to overcome hitting someone else in the rear. The fact that you probably slowed and stopped as the light went from yellow to red does not get the other driver free from liability as he must always maintain "an assured clear distance" so as to stop without hitting you.

4. The insurance company for the person who hit you will lie. They will tell you that you do not need an attorney. That the attorney will take half. Etc. You will do much better with an attorney of you are really injured. Good luck.

Please note that these answers are provided as a community service and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

5. Sounds like you are not at fault and injured as a result of the taxi drivers negligence. Seek a doctor for the pain you're feeling and contact a personal injury attorney ASAP.

This is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

6. If you were hit in the rear you are not legally at fault. You should go to the emergency room and then for a legal consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney, such as myself or someone else. Consultations are free. It is very important that you do do not speak with the insurance company or the other driver, as they are not on your side. My highest success is in cases I handle from the beginning.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

7. Based on the facts you presented, the driver of the taxi and the taxi company would be at fault for the incident. The first step is for you to get proper medical attention to assess whether or not you have a physical injury and require medical treatment. Given your symptoms, you may want to consult with an orthopedic surgeon for an evaluation. You should also make sure to contact your automobile insurance company and report the accident. It is your own automobile insurance carrier that will pay your medical bills. You should also consult an attorney to get detailed advice on how to proceed.

8. Yes. Retain a NJ lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30%, so you don't get hurt twice

9. The taxi driver and his company are liable for your injuries and damage to your vehicle. Get the medical treatment that you need and see a local attorney. I agree with the answers of my colleagues. If you have not already retained counsel, please feel free to contact me.

Leonard R. Boyer, Esq. 201-.675-.5577. Please be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.