Skip to main content

I live in Milwaukee, WI, and my neighbor's tree roots have caused damage to my foundation. What can I do?

Milwaukee, WI |
Filed under: Real estate

I had an estimate done, and it will cost over $ 10,000 to repair. They wont fix it until the tree is removed. I don't have the money, and I tried talking to the owner of the tree. She won't even respond. She rents out the property, and she lives somewhere else. Please help!

Attorney Answers 2


You will probably have to look at an action for private nuisance or trespass against your neighbor and hopefully his/her insurance carrier relating to the property damage the tree has caused. I would suggest you contact a lawyer and proceed to making a claim against that neighbor's carrier. If they do not respond, then you may need to file a lawsuit.

Mark as helpful


I agree with the previous responder, however, another option is to hire someone to remove the roots from your side of the property line and then sue for that cost. This is if you don't want to wait.
Cheryl P. Baraty

Mark as helpful

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics