I live in Manhattan (NYC)....my roommate/landlord I found out was overcharging me in this rent stabilized apartment.

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

NYC rent laws don't allow this if I have proof/signed receipts that he took advantage of my finances.

1. Steven Warren Smollens

2

Answered . Dear Roommate:

OK. You are correct. Rent Stabilization does not allow for a roommate to be charged more than a proportionate share of the rent.

A prime tenant exposed to the landlord for overcharging the roommate may face an eviction proceeding.

Read more at:

http://www.housingnyc.com/html/resources/faq/ro...

2. Edwin Drantivy

2

Answered . Speak with him about this first and maybe he will give you some money back. If talking about it does not work, then it may be time to consult with a New York landlord-tenant attorney regarding your rights and/or remedies.

3. Nicklaus James Misiti

1

1

Answered . First you need to discuss the facts of your claim with an attorney. The next step would be to have that attorney engage the individual/s in an attempt to obtain some form of retribution. If that fails legal action may be required. The first step for you is to speak with an attorney, my firm handles these types of cases in NY.
    Regards,
    Nicklaus Misiti
    Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
    212 537 4407

4. Sandra A Joseph

1

Answered . You may want to file an overcharge complaint with DHCR. If the roommate is the primary tenant you may be entitled to treble damages if the primary tenant charged you more than 1/2 rent (if you shared with only the primary tenant) plus 10% if the apartment was furnished.