I live in Jersey City, NJ. I got married 5 months ago in Vancouver, WA to a girl who lives in Portland, OR.

Asked about 2 years ago - Jersey City, NJ

We never got married in a court, it was a marriage as per Sikh act. She has left me several times and took all the belongings with her. Now I think it is too much and we want to get separated.
I never added her to my bank accounts or credit cards. I just got her added to my company's benefits for medical, dental and vision.
How can I proceed in this matter ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I am sorry that your marriage did not work out. You should separate the issues, did you get a marriage license and was it a legal or a religous marrriage, if it is not a legal marriage then you are not married, if it was then you should work with a local NJ attny and either file for a divorce or annulment.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  2. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . First I would need to find out whether you have a valid marriage, rather than just a religious one. If the marriage was valid, I would attempt an annulment. More facts are needed, however.

    Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to... more
  3. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Given the complexity of your specific circumstance, you would best be served by consulting with a family law attorney who can assist you. Best of luck!

    The information provided is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. This information is designed for general... more
    Howard M Lewis
    Howard M Lewis, Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Framingham, MA
    Posted about 2 years ago.

    great counsel

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Marriage and prenups

Entering into a prenuptial agreement before marriage can protect certain assets in the event of a divorce, but such agreements must be carefully written.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

37,700 answers this week

3,930 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

37,700 answers this week

3,930 attorneys answering