Skip to main content

I live in Jersey City, NJ. I got married 5 months ago in Vancouver, WA to a girl who lives in Portland, OR.

Jersey City, NJ |

We never got married in a court, it was a marriage as per Sikh act. She has left me several times and took all the belongings with her. Now I think it is too much and we want to get separated.
I never added her to my bank accounts or credit cards. I just got her added to my company's benefits for medical, dental and vision.
How can I proceed in this matter ?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. First I would need to find out whether you have a valid marriage, rather than just a religious one. If the marriage was valid, I would attempt an annulment. More facts are needed, however.

    Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

  2. Given the complexity of your specific circumstance, you would best be served by consulting with a family law attorney who can assist you. Best of luck!

    The information provided is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. This information is designed for general information only. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your specific situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and emails. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

  3. I am sorry that your marriage did not work out. You should separate the issues, did you get a marriage license and was it a legal or a religous marrriage, if it is not a legal marriage then you are not married, if it was then you should work with a local NJ attny and either file for a divorce or annulment.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.