I live in Indiana. Is inheritance money from a parent, considered "my" money and not subject to be "joint" propert in a divorce

Indianapolis, IN |

Can inheritance money left to "me" be deemed joint property that my husband could have access to in a divorce?

1. Question 1: No.
    Question 2: Yes.
    An inheritance is property that comes into the marital estate, subject to division.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.

2. In Indiana, assets received via inheritance are presumptively marital assets and subject to division; however, in certain cases, a party can argue that they should be granted a deviation (more property) due to assets received via inheritance.