Skip to main content

I live in Georgia, my wife lives in Michigan. Should I have a Georgia or Michigan Lawyer for a divorce and child support issue

Alpharetta, GA |

I want to file for joint custody of our 2 children who are with my wife now in Michigan. At this particular time, over $600.00 is being taken out of my monthly check of $1100 - this does not leave me with enough money to take care of myself. I need an attorney that will fight for the rights of men to take my case. I have family that is willing to help me financially to pay for the attorney.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Assuming the children have been in Michigan at least six months they have jurisdiction in most situations, so you likely need a lawyer there.

    A case would work in Georgia if the mother would consent and agree to that. Otherwise see a Michigan lawyer.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics