I live in FL and was wondering if an employer can ask if I have ever been convicted of a crime on initial job application

Asked 12 months ago - Riverview, FL

I know some states limit criminal background questions on the initial application, is Florida one of them. I know Massachusetts is one state that bars this on initial and NJ only allows for the past 7 years. My current employer asked and I lied on it and said no, recently it was brought to their attention that I lied on it, but if the question was illegal then I'm hoping to get around it. Any help is apprecitated

1. Lucas Style Lanasa

Answered . Your employer is allowed to ask about pasts arrests, charges, pleas and/or convictions. Furthermore, Florida is an at-will employment state, meaning your employer can fire you for any reason (so long as it is not unlawful) including falsification of your employment application. Good luck to you.

2. Derek William Bernstein

Answered . As you just stated you lied on your application. That is a legitimate reason to fire you from employment.