Skip to main content

I live in Connecticut and my wife is filing for a divorce after 30 years , do not want a divorce

Niantic, CT |

who stays in the house and who pays for the divorce , she is telling every one a lot of lies,
that are not true. only to get her own way. she is serving me with the divorce papers.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


In regards to who stays in the house, there isnt a firm rule on that. Often both parties remain in the house until the divorce is completed. Who winds up with it is a different question that is fact specific. Thirty years of marriage with no other facts (disability, inheritance, etc) starts a lawyer off thinking everything get split. That doesnt mean you actually get half the physical house. One can stay there and buy out the other, trade off on assets, etc. Who pays for the divorce starts out by each spending what they deem appropriate. If it comes from a joint asset then you both are in essence paying. The fact you don't want a divorce doesn't stop it from happening. You can however delay the process about a year. This sounds very difficult on you emotionally which is completely normal for someone in your position. You need an attorney to discuss the facts with and plan how best to navigate through this process. Good luck

This information provided is in the nature of general information and in no way creates an attorney client relationship with anyone including the individual who posted the question. Attorney Norris is licensed only in Connecticut and does not provide legal advice outside of the State of Connecticut. Answers given are solely not to be considered legal advice. For legal advice contact an attorney licensed in your state.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer