I live in Chicago my wife lives in Texas, how do i divorce her?

Asked over 4 years ago - Chicago, IL

My wife and i have been married for a little over two years. She cheated on me with her first ex husband. i moved to Chicago in March for a fresh start. she had agreed to a no fault divorce but now she wont sign the divorce papers. We do not have any children or own any property together. i have $900.00 in saving that i was willing to split with her. She is being a royal pain. i just want her to sign the papers so i can get on with my life. My wife still lives in Texas. What are my options?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Andrew Pavlinski

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Based on you residency in Illinois, you can file for divorce here. You will need to serve her in Texas. Her response will then dictate how you can procede. You should discuss the matter with an attorney or consult the legal help desk at the nearest courthouse for more information.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,663 answers this week

2,728 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,663 answers this week

2,728 attorneys answering