I live in Chicago, Il and am wondering if there are pro-bono attys who will do divorces? How do I contract them?

Asked over 3 years ago - Chicago, IL

My husband claims that I can use his attorney. I don't feel comfortable with that, however, the only concern of mine is his pension and this is a huge concern of his at this time. He doesn't want me to touch his pension and that is why I do not want to use is atty. Any ideas??

1. David Matthew Gotzh

Pro

Answered . As a general rule, we can't represent BOTH spouses in a divorce since you have adverse interests. He clearly doesn't want you to have much of anything. It is true the court can order your husband to cover attorney fees pursuant to the IMDMA (That's Illinois' codified marriage/divorce laws).

HOWEVER, the attorney has no guarantee until the court grants it, which is why many won't step in - or if it's denied, they immediately withdraw.

Finding free attorney's is much like trying to find a free mechanic, plumber, or landscaper. However it doesn't hurt to look if you have no other alternative.

2. J. Richard Kulerski

Answered . You cannot afford not to have your own lawyer. You have a 50-50 right to his pension benefits and your share could amount to a thousand times more that what a lawyer may cost you.

You must have your own lawyer. Period.

3. Zedrick Thomas Braden III

Answered . Hello. I strongly suggests that you get your own attorney. Your husband's attorney will certainly have a conflict of interest if you attempts to represent the two of you. Contact the American Bar Association for information on pro bono representation, or the Legal Assistance Foundation of Chicago. You should be able to locate both online.

4. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . You can request that the court order your husband to pay for your own lawyer, as well as his own, without you having to share his lawyer. See a family law lawyer about this.