I live in Canada and I suspect that I have a warrant/indictment in NY, NY. How can I make sure before crossing the border?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I live in Canada and I suspect that I might have a warrant or/and indictment in NY, NY. I want to fly for vacations in FL, but I want to make sure my name is clean and that I won't have any issues at the borders. I ran some background checks on the Net and found nothing, but I really want to make sure that I won't get arrested or retained at the border. I called legal aid and they told me to call the local clerk office and find out. But from what I read here it's not a good idea. What should I do?

1. George A. Vomvolakis

Pro

2

Answered . You should probably find an attorney in the area of the original arrest. Otherwise, calling the local clerk's office would be fine. They may not have all the information though.

2. John M. Cromwell

Pro

2

Answered . Retain a local attorney who can make the appropriate inquiries.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . A warrant might not show up on a background check. You can call the court where you think the case might be and ask (they may or may not tell you) or hire a criminal defense lawyer to check.

4. Todd Andrew Spodek

2

Answered . Do you have any idea what the warrant would be for? If you know who was
    investigating the case, you might be able to have a local criminal defense
    attorney reach out to the appropriate law enforcement agency and see if
    they can find out any info. If a warrant was lodged, it should be easy to
    confirm.

5. Arkady Bukh

Pro

2

Answered . Your best bet might be to hire an attorney that works in the jurisdiction where you think you have the warrant. They can find out if there is one and then possibly take care of it for you. You should definitely get this all cleared up before traveling internationally.

6. Hayley R. Greenberg

1

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your situation.

You should contact an attorney to discuss your questions as additional information would be helpful. You can also hire an attorney (or a friend) to do the searches in the country for you.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.

Hayley Greenberg

Greenberg & Merola, LLP, Attorneys at Law
    91 N. Franklin Street, Suite 211, Hempstead, NY 11550, (516) 887-1975

521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700, New York, NY 10175, (212) 593-6111

Additional Offices: Queens & Brooklyn