I live in Canada and 7 years ago I pleeded guilty to a first offense DUI. Can I now travel out of country?

Asked over 1 year ago - Canada, KY

I live in Canada and 7 years ago I pleeded guilty to a first offense DUI. Can I now travel out of country?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Frank Mascagni III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I assume you are a Canadian resident and the DUI conviction is in the USA? This question is posted from 'CANADA, KY". You need to consult with local counsel to assist you. I know of no restrictions on travel from a 7 year old DUI conviction, which terms have long expired, I assume.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this... more
  2. Michael William Bouldin

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should but may check with each country which you will be entering. If you have a DUI conviction in Ky, it may be difficult to get into Canada. Being over 7 years old, you may be able to travel. You should also discuss with a local attorney the possibility of expungement of the DUI.

    Kentucky law does not certify specialty of practice in this area. The advice given herein is informational and... more
  3. Robert Laurens Driessen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As a general rule, Canada does not allow persons with DUI's to enter their country, although travellers who require in-depth information regarding the process of applying for a waiver or other admissibility questions can reach the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) during regular business hours, Monday to Friday (08:00 - 16:00 local time, except holidays) by calling either (506)636-5064 or (204)983-3500.

    You may also view the following links with CBSA on their waiver process:

    Citizenship & Immigration (for related policies and procedures on waivers): http://www.cic.gc.ca/

    CBSA’s home page: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

    CBSA’s Contact page: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html

    CBSA’s info for non-Canadians: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/noncan-eng.html

    Robert Driessen

    Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated... more
  4. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Are you a Canadian citizen?

    Was the DUI in Canada?

    If you are not a Canadian citizen, you will need to get a waiver from Canadian Immigration. Talk to a Canadian Immigration lawyer about this before you leave the country and get it squared away.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

    --- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer

    --- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer

    --- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin

    --- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers

    --- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin


    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

    I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

    If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

    To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

    See “more” link below for more important information.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,597 answers this week

2,945 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,597 answers this week

2,945 attorneys answering