I live in California my husband walked out on his family. Can I file for child support?

Asked over 2 years ago - Valencia, CA

We were discussing Divorce but he never agreed to it. Now since he has walked away I don't know what he is going to do. I just don't want him to take my kids. What should I do ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Richard Forrest Gould-Saltman

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should speak to an experienced family law tourney about getting child support, spousal support (alimony) and child custody orders made by a court.

  2. Elizabeth Jones

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . The best way to secure Child Support is to open a Child Support Services case and let them enforce Child Support. You do not need an attorney for that.

    Then you need to decide what you want. If you want a divorce, get a good attorney. If your cannot afford one, go to your Legal Aid Society for help.

    If you do not want a divorce, do nothing (except the child support) and wait to see if he comes to his senses. There is no advantage or disadvantage to being the one to file for divorce.

  3. Rhonda Diane Ellifritz

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Gould-Saltman. The Department of Child Support Services is only going to get you a support order, not a custody and visitation order. A custody and visitation order is what you need in order to prevent him from just grabbing the kids and taking them. You need an attorney to do that. For more information, visit http://www.ellifritzlaw.com

    Since legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing,... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,950 answers this week

3,080 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,950 answers this week

3,080 attorneys answering