I live in California my husband walked out on his family. Can I file for child support?

Valencia, CA |

We were discussing Divorce but he never agreed to it. Now since he has walked away I don't know what he is going to do. I just don't want him to take my kids. What should I do ?

1. You should speak to an experienced family law tourney about getting child support, spousal support (alimony) and child custody orders made by a court.

2. The best way to secure Child Support is to open a Child Support Services case and let them enforce Child Support. You do not need an attorney for that.

Then you need to decide what you want. If you want a divorce, get a good attorney. If your cannot afford one, go to your Legal Aid Society for help.

If you do not want a divorce, do nothing (except the child support) and wait to see if he comes to his senses. There is no advantage or disadvantage to being the one to file for divorce.

3. I agree with Mr. Gould-Saltman. The Department of Child Support Services is only going to get you a support order, not a custody and visitation order. A custody and visitation order is what you need in order to prevent him from just grabbing the kids and taking them. You need an attorney to do that. For more information, visit http://www.ellifritzlaw.com

Since legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel.

Child custody topics