I live in California, i was ordered to install an iid for a year. Can I wait until the year is over and then begin to drive ?

Asked about 2 years ago - Van Nuys, CA

My year will be over in may 2013, can I wait til then to start driving again ? I don't have a car at the moment. I sent the exempt form for the iid.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. John W Stanko

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Can you not install the IID and wait a year and then drive?

    Well, did the court order the IID in your car? I assume yes because LA county is a pilot IID county. If you don't own or operate a car you can submit a verification of non operation and that should relieve you of your obligation at this time.

    Did the DMV respond to your IID form?

    On a first offense the DMV isn't requiring an IID.
    On a multiple offense you would have to complete a multiple offender program, provide and SR 22 and a reissue fee to get a license. Your suspension would be for 2 years and you cannot drive for 90 days or 6 moths and then only if you get the IID and you could wait for 1 year and then apply for a to and from work restricted license without an IID.

    Without knowing more about your case it is tough to give you a definite answer.

    You should discuss all of these options with your attorney.

  2. Robert Laurens Driessen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Do not just wait the year and do nothing. You need to file paperwork with both the court and the DMV if you do not own or possess a vehicle. Unless you do this the time does not start.
    Robert Driessen

    Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated... more
  3. Jim Mitchell Medley

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Are you on some form of probation? Are you saying that you do not own a vehicle at all?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,327 answers this week

3,385 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,327 answers this week

3,385 attorneys answering