I live in California, i was ordered to install an iid for a year. Can I wait until the year is over and then begin to drive ?

Van Nuys, CA |

My year will be over in may 2013, can I wait til then to start driving again ? I don't have a car at the moment. I sent the exempt form for the iid.

Can you not install the IID and wait a year and then drive?

Well, did the court order the IID in your car? I assume yes because LA county is a pilot IID county. If you don't own or operate a car you can submit a verification of non operation and that should relieve you of your obligation at this time.

Did the DMV respond to your IID form?

On a first offense the DMV isn't requiring an IID.
On a multiple offense you would have to complete a multiple offender program, provide and SR 22 and a reissue fee to get a license. Your suspension would be for 2 years and you cannot drive for 90 days or 6 moths and then only if you get the IID and you could wait for 1 year and then apply for a to and from work restricted license without an IID.

Without knowing more about your case it is tough to give you a definite answer.

You should discuss all of these options with your attorney.

Are you on some form of probation? Are you saying that you do not own a vehicle at all?

Do not just wait the year and do nothing. You need to file paperwork with both the court and the DMV if you do not own or possess a vehicle. Unless you do this the time does not start.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at