Skip to main content

I live in California . Can the store Walmart take my unemployment check if I don't pay on my account .

Highland, CA |

I am separated from my husband can walmart garnish my husbands bank account for the money I owe ?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. From what you describe, probably not. To levy a bank account of someone who owes money (the debtor), in most cases, the creditor must get a judgment issued by a court against the person named on the bank account. The only exception would be government agencies, such as IRS or Dept. of Education, which have certain administrative orders or if the creditor that is owed the money also has an account of the person who stopped paying. Thus, if you owe the money to this company, then I'd recommend closing all bank accounts that you have under your name. I'd also suggest that you spouse close accounts, if they may associate his bank account with you and your unpaid debt.

    I'd rather suggest closing that account then risking them getting the money that you need. Once they have the money, it may be very difficult to get back. Also, it can take a long time, even if you end up getting the funds back, so better to play it safe and have no open accounts with this company.

    Robert Stempler (please see DISCLAIMER below)
    Twitter: @RStempler

    NOTICE: The above statements are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended as legal advice or advice of any sort for a specific case or legal matter. If you do not have a signed attorney-client fee agreement with the Consumer Law Office of Robert Stempler, APC ("the Firm"), then until such written fee agreement is provided and signed by both a prospective client and attorney for a particular case, neither Mr. Stempler nor the Firm will represent you nor will they be your attorney in any matter and you remain responsible for retaining your own attorney and for compliance with any and all deadlines and for any statutes of limitations that may pertain to potential claims. Comments made on a public forum, such as, to not have any confidentiality because others may read them. If you desire a private consultation with Mr. Stempler that is confidential, please go to and submit a free eCase Review. The result portrayed for a client was dependent on the facts of that case. Results will differ if based on different facts. The Firm and Mr. Stempler are a debt relief agency. The Firm and Mr. Stempler help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

  2. Attorney Stempler provided a thorough answer to your question.

    If you are separated from your husband, BOTH of you need to open new accounts with ONLY your names on them. That will solve a few different problems all at once.

    As Attorney Stempler suggested, if you think WalMart ALREADY filed a lawsuit and has a judgment against you, then the absolute safest course of action is to keep your money out of the bank.

    Good luck.

    If you need further clarity, please email me at MICHAEL@MIRELAND.US Answers to questions are for general information purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. This is not legal advice, simply information. You SHOULD NOT act on this information without consulting a competent bankruptcy attorney in your area and providing ALL relevant information.

  3. Yes its possible, but it would require walmart to file a lawsuit against the debt holder and then seek an order from the court to levy the account or garnish the wages. This usually takes a few months and the creditor must give a debt holder written notice of the lawsuit.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics